Wedding blog to share interesting ideas I have found.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator

I always have a habit of weighing myself on a daily basis especially now that I am pregnant. This is the beginning of week 14 of my pregnancy and I cant help worry if the weight gain is appropriate and normal. A mummy is always selfless and prior to that, in order to make myself concieve better and I try all sort of ways from taking wu ji bai feng wan
http://www.euyansang.com/index.php/product/flagship-products/gold-label-bak-foong-pill
to getting some weight gain from 48kg to 50kg (I heard from my colleagues it is not wise to continue slimming while trying to concieve). I hope my baby will appreciate all the lengths i have to concieve her/him.

But then again a lady is always vain and it dreads me to step on the weighing machine to worry about both sides of the coin.

Scenario 1: Gaining weight fast
Worries
: Am I eating too much and getting fat on my own instead of due to my babies growth??? Princess Mummy Christine: this is something mummy need to look out for as we often keep thinking we are eating for 2. The truth is we should be eating at the same volume as we were eating but we should be taking in nutrition for 2. Therefore, the mummy should be taking related pregnancy nutrition and supplements by changing the type of food we are eating and not the amount.

Scenario 2: Losing weight
Worries:
Oh my god is my baby still there?
Princess Mummy Christine: Actually it is normal for mummy to lose weight or gain little weight after 1st trimester due to vomiting(morning sickness) etc

Scenario 3: Gaining weight hardly
Worries:
Is my baby not getting enough nutrition? Why is it not growing fast?

Anyway my worries are not unfounded for. Here's what I found out:

Women who do not gain enough weight have an increased risk of delivering small babies (low birth weight of less than 2.5 kg). In Singapore, Indians tend to deliver smaller babies than other races. Small babies can die in early childhood and have many health problems. They are more prone to asthma, and respiratory tract infections (cough and cold). Small babies are at greater risk of having cerebral palsy (a nervous system disorder causing difficulty in talking and walking). Their Intelligent Quotient (IQ) is lower and they may have delayed development.

Gaining too much weight can also be a problem. It may increase the risk of developing hypertension and diabetes in pregnancy. The pregnancy becomes an unpleasant experience, causing backache, leg cramps and varicose veins. Besides it is also difficult to lose weight after delivery. The baby tends to be big. Large babies make vaginal deliveries difficult, increasing the risk for cesarean section. Overweight babies may become obese and diabetic in later part of their lives.



I am glad in the end I found this pregancy calculator online instead of the general pregnancy weight gain chart that customise the estimated weight gain according to the mummy's orginal BMI before pregnancy.

So here's the customise one for Princess Mummy Christine:


I am not sure whether if it is a coincidence, but I am now into the week 14 of my pregnancy and my weight is now 52.5 kg. Just nice =) Puts me at ease.... WHEW!

It is recommended that women should aim for a weight gain related to their pre-pregnancy BMI:
If BMI was above 26, you should aim for a weight gain of between 7 and 11.5kg.
If BMI was between 20 and 26, you should aim for a weight gain of 11.5 to 16kg.
•If BMI was less than 20, you should aim for a weight gain of 12.5 to 18kg.


On a Trimester Basis:
•First trimester: Most women put on around 1.6kg in the first three months.
•Second trimester: around 0.5kg a week for the next three months (5.5 - 6.4kg) in total.
•Third trimester: and only around 5kg over the last three months.

If you are wondering how much goes to the baby exactly? Only 3-4 kg out of the total 11-16kg gain by the mummy!!!!


Source:
http://www.baby2see.com/pregnancy_weight_calculator.html

I guess it's good for mummies to get a digital weighing machine to monitor our weight closely =) I cant wait to find out the gender of Baby Hui soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment