Wedding blog to share interesting ideas I have found.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Si Dian Jin - How to be unique and yet beat the recession

Now while I was browing through the forum, it cant be helped to notice the effect of recession on weddings.
There was one post whereby one guy was torn between costing and marriage. He was being laid off with limited savings and yet his family refuse to let hm cancel the wedding plans making it a very tight wedding planning for him.

Si dian jin is suppose to be a popular part of the teochew customary marriage. However due to Singapore's unique rojak multi racial and multi dialects environment, we find that it isn't a surprise that even the Singapore weddings to not follow according to just one dialect alone. Hence even though I am a Hokkien bride and my husband is cantonese, it wasnt a surprise that my mum has requested si dian jin for me from my mum-in-law.

Initially I thought eeek si dian is those chinese traditional gold bangles etc isnt that like =( not very wearable during normal days and it is onlygoing to collect dust. However, after some research, I realise that in the modern days many mother in laws are turning to white gold set or even diamonds set (si dian zhuang) . Both of these are definitely elegant and very classic in terms of its appearance. Hence it is now very popular for brides.
So there I went around doing some research and to my horror: Diamond sets are very expensive which the cheaper ones (as given by goldheart sales pple) cost around 3.5k -4k and the better elaborate ones is btween 15k-25k =( I amost faintz...

'Never mind, there's still white gold!', that was what I thought to myself =)

BUT When I was about to turn to white gold, to my horror, I realise in some forums, some brides mentioned that it is actually inauspicious as the chinese term for white gold , 'bai jin' , is the exact same words as the funeral money. So I dont really wanna get myself into trouble with the seniors at home again like the auspicious date sega.

Ok never mind than I shall just use gold then .... but gold is not cheap at all! shake head. Just one pendant alone which I am interested in cost about 1 k plus leh! No wonder during my research on the forum, mother-in-laws of brides are like spending 5-6 k on the si dian jin on an average.

I think woodblock will faint if he ever research on si dian jin to know about such exorbitant prices lol. As a quick thinker, I quickly came up with a contingency plan. Well I'm never going to spend 5-6 k on jewelleries nor 2-3 k on something that I dislike either eg yellow gold.

Now let me show you my secret plan :
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TADA
PRINCESS CHRISTINE's SECRET FORMULA - THE BIG REVEAL!:
Coloured gems(in my case purple) + Rose gold +Diamonds! = A CHIC BRIDE !!!
A good reason for this is that I want something that I can often wear for function feeling fashionable and at the same time unique from other brides in terms of the usual si dian jin! So why not start a new trend? In fact this is a good business idea that the jewellers should be exploring into and open up a new door to include choices that fit the likings of the chic modern brides today for si dian jin. Now some may say that coloured gems have been around for ages mah, so what's the fuss about them not offering it to the brides?
Simple - Si dian jin requires the following to make up a set:
1) Earrings
2) Necklace Chain (which most mother in laws prefer to buy thick ones to show that they dote on their daugther in laws - but if u ask me it is more for face purpose lol)
3) Pendant
4) Bracelet
So if you go around, you will realise that for coloured gems being offered, they are not being offered in such full set and the most difficult thing to buy will be the bracelet =(
Here's a close up of the pendant that I bought from Gold heart!

The earrings happened to be on sale too and happens to be matching to the pendant! However, I hcange the chain to Omega necklace as I feel that it looks more formal and sleek for it to be in fixed rounded shape.
However the special thing about this omega chain that I bought is that it is 2 sided! YOu may say HUH?!? 2 sided means that the 2 sides of the omega necklace is of 2 different material =) The one which goldheart is offering is one side white gold and one side yellow gold....
BUT WAIT I WANT ROSE GOLD to complement my CHIO PeNDANT leh. So FRUStrating?!?!
NAh wait a minute, why is the chain colour in the picture rose gold. Orhhhh... it happens that Goldheart, Lee Hwa, Citigems are all ONE BIG FAMILY and cousin Lee Hwa has the combination of white+18k rose gold! ALAS a savior to my day in shopping for si dian jin!
I simply love family ties (evil muahahaha)! Happy to say, the sale person has offered to collate all the various precious gem bracelet and help me match my pendant and earrings so I be going down a second time(she will also be keeping watch over the budget I have given her too) =) In addition, they even provide me with free jewellery box and offer to tie ribbons for me as deco for wedding! Love their service!
Anyway, I know now pple are eager to ask me how much will that set cost me so far for the 3 items: $1688! A very value for money buy in terms of likings and costing(in comparison to the usual one which most brides are getting)!
Have I inspire and excited you too?
ps:Overall, I be trying to keep the costing under $2.5k =) (just in case you are dying to know my overall budget)

No comments:

Post a Comment